What is the SkyHub device?
SkyHub is referred to the designing of hardware and software set for industrial purposes to enhance UAV capabilities. The SkyHub solution functions in various ways:
- Recording and converting data in a specific format for analysis and processing
- Collecting data from an external payload
- Gathering flight parameters through a flight controller
- Implementing customized flight control algorithms
- Extend UAV diagnostics
Now let’s discuss the features of SkyHub.
- SkyHub device is a convenient and reliable connector with a lock that is perfect for airborne applications
- It has ESD-protected and completely isolated external interfaces
- It comes with a 12 V power output with a switch-off function to support payload connecting
- It provides protection against inverse polarity of input power
Applications of SkyHub device
When a Radar rangefinder is combined with a drone, it helps to follow the terrain during the flight. It functions precisely based on the data collected by the altimeter.
True Terrain Following
The drone flies consistently at low altitudes in True Terrain Following (TTF) model. It starts flying at an altitude of 0.5m. It does not require the integration of Digital Elevation Model (DEM) height-map with UgCS.
In True Terrain Following, the integrated system that helps the drone to fly consists of:
- Ground control software UgCS
- Onboard computer UgCS SkyHub
UgCS is one of the main components of the integrated system that enables efficient survey planning. It is a flight planning software that provides tools for the calculation and creation of flight paths. It also interprets the acquired data in a user-friendly manner.
The new solution to use actual terrain information is the integration of onboard computer UgCS SkyHub and a radar altimeter to the drone carrying a GPR or Magnetometer. It helps to follow the terrain exactly and stop relying on pre-existing and sub-optimal data.
The radar altimeter first measures the distance to the terrain surface and gathers an uninterrupted data flow. Then the drone flight height is adjusted by the onboard computer accordingly. It is called True Terrain Following (TTF) model as it uses actual data.
This system is a high-end ultra-sensitive MagArrow magnetometer integrated with a drone for UAV. The missions of the survey are flown and planned in an automatic mode with UgCS. However, the addition of the onboard computer helps the drone to fly in TTF mode.
The integration of the radar altimeter and logs with the onboard computer precisely tracks flight to refine MagArrow’s data.
Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) + Drone
The onboard computer UgCS SkyHub helps in the full integration of a drone with the Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR). This functions in various ways:
- It automatically starts gathering data at take-off and finishes upon landing
- It displays the status of the drone and the radar on the UgCS screen
- It geotags radar’s data with GPS coordinates from the autopilot
- This integrated system guarantees to deliver accurate survey results
- It is a safer method for technicians to track data
- It saves time and effort
The integrated system of a drone and the remote methane detector helps to survey the natural gas pipeline, monitor landfill emission, carry out tank inspections, and audit plant safety.
Have a look at its functions:
- No false readings of other gases are possible as the device is only sensitive to methane
- A highly sensitive methane gas detector can detect even the smallest leaks from the 30-meter height
- The onboard computer transfers the data collected by the detector instantly to the drone’s remote control and to UgCS software
Adding the onboard computer to the integrated system of Echo Sounder or GPR and a drone helps to follow the terrain precisely. Bathymetry with UAV is perfect for surveying the locations that are hard to reach such as mining pits, steep coasts, or shallow waters.
This system gathers data 10times faster than the traditional methods due to fast deployment and easy transportation.
It works in a hazardous and unsafe environment. It operates in lakes and rivers with strong currents as well as contaminated waters.